Friday, January 15, 2010

146 Foster Crossing

The purpose of this post is to, again, highlight a house that I believe is an example of how to introduce a contemporary style within an historic context. Some of my most favorite houses in the village are historic, but not everyone who wants to live in our village evidently wants to live in an historic house; so here we have a compromise. Its architecture is harmonious and appropriate within the context of both the Village of Southampton as a whole and its immediate neighborhood. The property, however, is key to its appropriateness, for if it were on a smaller parcel on Fordham Lane or Elm Street, its style would not fit-in. This house sits on a wonderful, un-subdivided, square-ish corner and was built sometime after 1932. Its simple vernacular volumes are recognizable forms within the architectural vocabulary of the village, but the lack of embellishment and moldings, along with its monochromatic color scheme, give it a more contemporary edge without making it generic or aggressive. The design results in a pleasant composition while also demonstrating that size, symmetry, and ornamentation are not required elements of quality design. It is spacious without being ostentatious or overly consuming of its property area. I would love to see the interior as I have often wondered if the tower contains the stair and if it is modern or traditional inside.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved this house. Do you have any idea who the architect is that updated the house so beautifully?
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't, but I should, sorry. Someone told me once who it was, someone that worked for a prominent architect or architectural firm.....it will come to me at some point.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete