Thursday, May 27, 2010

Free Buildings

I have just added a new list feature to my blog and hope anyone reading this will remember it and help me to spread the word. It is a list of structures that can be had for free if they are moved from their present locations. Houses, garages, sheds, you name it, as long as they are in good enough condition to be moved, I want to know about them. We all know that the larger they are, the more expensive they are to be moved, but big, small, new, old, in the Village or on the North Fork, I don’t care, I want you to tell me about them. Just use the contact button near the upper right hand corner and tell me what it is and where it is and I will put it on the list. If this list becomes well-known, it will provide people with wonderfully green and sustainable options for adding onto their homes or adding accessory structures to their properties. Who said new is better? A lot of the new architecture out there doesn’t even come close to matching the character of older structures. Remember the cute little shed with the glazed sliding barn doors and cupola at 43 Osborne Avenue? Gone. I have received more than one comment asking where to find such structures, as well as more than one request to list a structure. It just didn’t occur to me to provide this type of “bulletin board” feature before and I would direct people to let local Architectural Review Boards know about them. Like that would do anything, right? And what about areas without Architectural Review Boards? So here you go folks, let’s build a “free buildings” list and cross our fingers that they can be happy new additions to other people’s properties. Like the old saying goes, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!” By the way, here is a great link to a happy house moving story, and a lot of great “house-mover” references: http://www.calfinder.com/blog/remodeling-news/moving-a-whole-house-keeping-it-intact/.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous27 May, 2010

    Great idea! Every old structure saved is a step in the right direction. The Village could possibly institute codes that encourage this practice--as part of their "green" building code initiative.
    I agree--the shed at 43 Osborne was adorable. Sad to see it demolished.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10 June, 2010

    Love this idea, recently saw a historical house being moved in Eastport. The Dawn house moving company did it. Im looking for an older garage, maybe you guys can find one for me? thatd be great :D

    ReplyDelete