This is a gorgeous estate house just south of Boyesen on the east side of Captains Neck Lane. Designed circa 1900 in the all too common northeast Shingle Style, the house has a symmetrical design with bay window dormers, pedimented porte-cochere, fluted Tuscan style columned front porch, and jerkin-headed north and south projections. There is also a barn, greenhouse, and carriage house, all of which seem to still exist and are in good condition.
This gambrel roofed three story beauty was built by and for Franklin Carpenter Raynor (1856-1920), a house carpenter. He was from Westhampton. In 1882 he married Amy Louise White (1864-1918) which must be a big part of the reason why he left his native Westhampton for Southampton. Amy is a descendant of one of the first settlers of Southampton, John White, and the White family were prominent land owners across the east end. In fact, that is probably how they acquired the land, through Amy’s family. Frank and Amy had seven children, six of which survived: 3 boys and 3 girls. Two of the boys, Lester and Lawrence, also became house carpenters.
The next owners were Grace J. (b. 1885) and John G. (b. 1881) Jacksons. John was a lawyer. When not in Southampton, they lived on East 79th Street in Manhattan. They travelled frequently.
Following the Erteguns, the Michaelcheck’s owned this lovely home. Bill is a Wall Street titan, and his wife, Pam, has been very involved with the very worthy local charity, the Fresh Air Home.
Property Owners (incomplete):
Susan B. Margules/Steinhardt & John Steinhardt, 1991 – present
William Michaelcheck, 1987-1991
Ahmet & Ioana M. Ertegun, 1968-1987
John G. & Grace J. Jackson, 1939-1968
Mrs. Frank C. Raynor, before 1902-1939
Heirs of Eli White (Henry E. White, Fanny L. White, Nellie M. White, & Sarah A. Rose)